The Death of Woman Wang
- #501 Introduction to The Death of Woman Wang (Google Doc)
- #502 "The Observers" (Google Doc)
- The Sacred Edict, 1670 (external link)
- #503 "The Land" (Google Doc)
- #504 "The Widow" (Google Doc)
- #505 "The Feud" (Google Doc)
- #506 "The Death of Woman Wang" (Google Doc)
- Glossary (Google Sheets). When Spence originally published this text in 1976 he used the older Wade-Giles phonetic spelling for Chinese characters. I will use the initials “WG” to distinguish words that appear in this style from that of pinyin (“PY”), the newer phonetic system utilized by most scholars today and the spelling that has guided us throughout the semester.
- Map of Tancheng County in 1670 (JPG)
Book for purchase:
- Jonathan Spence, The Death of Woman Wang (Viking Press, 1978). Any edition is acceptable for purchase. Link to Amazon.